Saturday, November 12, 2011

Adventure at CVS

That's where things got "interesting," at least. I had felt a little uncomfortable all morning, but nothing big. By the time I picked up R2 from school, I realized I needed to see a doctor because my back was now involved in my discomfort. By the time I got a mile away from her school, I knew I needed to see a doctor immediately because it hurt to sit in the seat.  R1 met me at the doc's office to get the kids, who had no idea anything was wrong because they were glued to the video screen in the van (hurray for tv!). I got a prescription for an antibiotic to cure a UTI and went to CVS to fill it. While I was waiting, I had to use their bathroom twice, in 5 minutes. (Never mind that it was filthy. I'll be calling about that today). While standing in line to pick up my prescription, I realized I was going to throw up, so I hobble-bolted to my car and let it out. Ick. Called my mom to come get me (Thank goodness she was nearby!). Called my friend the doctor to ask her if this was normal for a UTI. She said no, put me on the line with her husband, an ER doc, who promptly came to the CVS parking lot, examined me and told my mom to take me to the hospital. My turn to be the scary person in the ER waiting room who was moaning and vomiting, all of it loudly. Poor everyone there!  But thanks to my mom, who is part Shirley MacLaine (in a good way), and Dr. B, who coached me on what to say that would get me seen faster, I was in a room lickety split. To make a long story short, here's the culprit (not the penny) that put me in the hospital overnight:

My kidney stone--a mild case, according to one nurse who has had over 25 of them herself.
I'll try not to be such a whiner next time, lady.

At some point in the evening Thursday, R1 told me that R2 and C2 set up a giant bowl for me next to the couch so I could watch tv and be sick. R2 also got some crossword puzzles ready for me.  Aren't my babies thoughtful!

I came home last night to sleeping children and an exhausted husband.  C2 called me at 4 am and told me about the bowl next to the couch. He made a point of telling me we could all share it if anyone needed to throw up. Even C3 (our dog). Then he went back to sleep.

I'm very grateful for friends and family who dropped everything to care for me and my children. I'm thankful for drugs that take away pain, and for those who gave those drugs to me when I needed them :)  And last, but not least, I'm thankful that tiny but mean little stone is out. 

No comments: