Friday, July 3, 2009

Precious

The other day I said to C2, "It's time to get dressed." Naturally, he went and picked out a dress from among R2's selection--pink with brown polka dots and puffy sleeves. I put it on him, thinking he'd soon tire of tripping on it, but he was perfectly content and went about his work/play. Not long after, he leaped into the kitchen (where I was doing the dishes...what else would I be doing?) and with the most urgent tone he could muster said, "Mama! Bebe! Ep!" I asked him, "Does R2 need help?" "Yesh!" he answered, then grabbed my finger and pulled me to the stairs where I found R2, stuck, trying to get the wagon down. She had sent him to get me. Astonishing bit of communication, wouldn't you say?

After that, we piled in the "bye-bye" (C2's word for the van) to go buy a new screen door at Home Depot. We got a lumber cart right away--the kids thought that they were on a rolling jungle gym! Picture my boy and my girl, both in dresses, swinging like little monkeys, laughing and squealing as we wandered through the huge aisles.
We had a couple of "Hi girls!" and a "They're so cute in those dresses!" Then at the checkout, "She really likes those flashlights, doesn't she!" The most interesting thing of all was that R2 felt no need to correct anyone. She just smiled at me knowingly, enjoying every minute that her little brother was in one of her dresses.

After that, we went straight to R2's playdate, where C2 fit right in with the gals playing dress-up. He got tired of their more mellow play after a while, though. He insisted on climbing up and down the stairs a hundred times--which wouldn't have been a big deal except that I had to hold his dress up so he wouldn't get tangled in it and fall on the cement steps. I had forgotten about that part of a toddler wearing a dress. By noon we were all exhausted. As we were getting ready for his nap, I offered to change his clothes into shorts and a shirt, thinking that he might get all twisted up in a dress (that's what happens to me). But he refused the offer. It was more like he insisted on staying in the dress. Here's one of my sleeping beauties:


Here's the other:


I think they're gorgeous.

1 comment:

charrette said...

Beautiful. I love how much they love and trust each other. And I love that the clothing is not only a non-issue, it's another way to bond.