Friday, April 16, 2010

I'm so glad when Daddy comes home

R1 went to a web developers conference this last week.  He was gone for six days.  Before he even left, R2 went into mourning. "I miss my dad!" was the phrase of the week for both kids--middle of the day, middle of the night (ugh), any time at all.  


R2 is a great texter when her dad is away.  She dictates; I type and send.  This trip, she texted him before he even made it to his destination.  The gist of it was: I miss you, and make sure you bring me presents.  Of course, Daddy obliged.  He got loads of t-shirts, plenty of spongy something-or-others, some bendy things, several gadgety pens, etc.  His present to me was a sticky, squishy brain in an oversized petrie dish (why? you may ask.  I'm wondering, too).  C2 got a smattering of everything, as did R2, but she also got one special nightgown:  




She wanted to know what "I love geeks" means, so I quickly said, "I love Dad."  I guess my sticky, squishy brain still has a quip or two left in it!  Now she calls it her "I-love-Dad nightgown."  


Tonight after she put it on she asked me, "How do you say 'Mom' in (she drew her finger across her tummy)?" 


I clarified, "How do you say 'Mom' in geek language?"


"Yeah."


"I don't know.  That's a good question for Dad.  We can ask him when he gets home from soccer."


She's a persistent girl.  "Well, what's your guess of how to say 'Mom' in geek language?"


"Hmmm." [long pause. Huge blank in my mind.  Couldn't even make anything up!]  "I really have no idea, honey.  Dad's the one that will know the answer to that."


I could tell she was frustrated by the way she stomped away.  Sigh.  


C2 finds my brain endlessly fascinating (of course that pun was intended!)  He bounces it.  He stretches it.  He sticks it on anything and everything (rocks, his shirt, the bottom of his foot) and slowly peels it off.  He also loves worms, snails, bugs, etc.


C2's hair this morning


By the way, we were all THRILLED to have Daddy home!  All is right with the world when we're all together.

No comments: