Five years ago tonight, R1 and I were in the labor and delivery room, trying to doze whenever we could. Night nurses--the less experienced ones--were on duty.
Five years ago tonight, one night nurse turned the pitocin (contraction inducer) way up instead of increasing my IV drip. R1 wasn't asleep. He was paying attention to every detail. He brought that woman right back in the room to fix her potentially disastrous mistake.
Five years ago tonight (while R1 was out for just a minute getting something), another night nurse couldn't find my baby's heartbeat. Next thing I know the room is swarming with night nurses, an oxygen mask is placed on me, and together with all their inexperience, they prepared to put some heartbeat-measuring device right into my unborn baby's skull. R1 walked in at just this moment. Thankfully, so did the charge nurse, who calmed everyone down, quickly found the heartbeat, and sent everyone away.
Five years ago tonight, my husband and I really didn't get any sleep. But we felt joyful.
Five years later, my husband still pays attention to every detail.
Five years later, I check my baby's heartbeat at least once a night.
Five years later, my husband and I are still sleep deprived. And we still feel joyful.
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I LIKE THAT. IT WAS SWEET! WE'RE ON OUR WAY TO CALL R RIGHT NOW!
I remember that day and night so well. The number of prayers and tears sent off on your behalf are countless.
Love you all --
Post a Comment